Feckin PC's

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Feckin PC's

Post by Yam Boy »

humph... my comp is playing up....

I got C+C Generals last friday....

which has been very poor... played one online game after a few hours of attempts....

since installing i started getting serious errors with my PC.... the same minidump/sysdata that i have had occur a few times before.. (digital camera software, a press of a keyboard shortcut button)

I even saw the 'blue screen of death' which wasn't supposed to happen with XP?!?!

I tried a system restore to a previous time (oh thats so poor!!)... it thinks programs that you have uninstalled (rubbish popupkiller) are still installed (but because they aren't installed no more they are 'not responding' in the task bar)

but it did stop the error appearing each load.. but also changed my virtual memory settings (which stopped a load of progs from working)

after 5-6 times of changing the settings n reloading to find they had reset to the wrong setting again (386MB?!?!)

another system restore to a much earlier point and the problem seemed to be solved....

but now i can't connect to some websites... another forum i use has loaded once this last week..... the rest of the time the progress bar never completes.....and a few other websites have become inaccessible....

tried clearing out my temp internet files under my user (win xp) but that does naff all apart from log me out of stuff......

any ideas? suggestions? really cannot be arsed to format

i've been trying to download adaware (now they have updated) but that even cuts out to 0k after a few secs using flashget?!?!?!?!

:?

Yam Boy
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

The wind gently whispered through the undergrowth - there was silence all around.
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

Its begging for a format and clean install.
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

Stelf wrote:Its begging for a format and clean install.
nah i only just done that @ the start of the year....
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Must admit, I've had far less problems with my PC since stopping using it as a games machine.

I stripped most of the games off the system (aside from MAME + Gridrunner++ & one or two small games). I also went through everything that was installed and ditched anything I hadn't used for two months.

After that I refreshed the drivers for my hardware and cancelled some shitty programs that I had installed - like a crap anti-spam proggy etc - taking stuff running in the background down to a bare minimum.

This helped me a while ago to make my PC stable again (after some annoying locks).

My PC now behaves itself 99% of the time.

I am assuming you have an up to date virus scanner Jimbo ?
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

pah.. feckin PC's

i formatted last night.... got all my dodgy apps on, installed loadsa shite etc... did quite well and got it sorted in less than 3 hours

but I still get difficulty accessing my favorite friggin forums :(

bloody weird coz this forum loads up fine... the other forums loaded fine yesterday and earlier tonight... but not now :(

i even get problems accessing streamload.com

?!?!

pah i give up trying.....

Yam Boy