Baulders Gate 2 + Moby

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Baulders Gate 2 + Moby

Post by beardfreak »

... did you get the chance my friend ?
Mobious
Supreme Member

Post by Mobious »

It was posted Monday 1st class, so you will probably get it today I would of thought.
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Ah harrrr - got it. Thanks :D

Very nice it is too !
Mobious
Supreme Member

Post by Mobious »

Glad you got it. Its a real shame that Black Isle no longer exist. That was there last game. It all went tits up when they lost the PC Baulders Gate liscence, but they managed to hold on to the console version. Unfortunately Interplay strike again, as they were a talented bunch. Easily the best makers of RPG's over the last few years.
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

Its a real shame that Black Isle no longer exist
I will certainly miss the PC versions of Fallout and Baudar's Gate series for sure.

And they canned BG3 (since they lost the D&D PC licence to Atari (at the expense of gaining the console licence)).
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

How are you Stelf ?

Hope all is well at your end and the house selling gig went well !
jimi d
Supreme Member

Post by jimi d »

Didn't they do Planetscape Torment as well?
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

I'm doing ok, my house sale is still looming, soon to be complete, been paying for flat and house for too long now, so relief soon, and Birmingham council can stop charging me council tax..

Already mentioned to Bentley but I should be in Birmingham in the next month or so at some point if anyone wants to go for a few pints, would be good to catch up with you guys.

Been playing Call of Duty some, nothing really being played on my Xbox, Gamecube is packed away, but I should get Mario Kart DD for that sometime, and attempt to make some progress on Meteroid and Eternal Darkness.
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Hi Ben

The reunion idea sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practise, due to our combined slackness, it probably won't happen :wink:

I wish you well ....

BTW - just finished Baulders Gate 2 on Normal with the Cleric. The last boss was a pain, until I used distraction techniques via my spiritual sword buddy.

If I had somebody competent to play the game with, I'd probably go through it again to max out the weapons and armour. There is a really cool character that is unlocked after completion and if you can get a two player going, that guy would be really handy.

Can't help feeling that the game overall was too samey. Not sure what I expect nowadays, but I get that nagging feeling that originality isn't there any more with most of these new products. The effects are glorious of course, but the game mechanics and problem solving routines are getting boring.

That's sad, as they have put so much work into BG2, that it is a shame that innovation within the story & set piece scripting is lacking in places.

I found some of the monsters a little weak in the concept department as well. There are some really great skeletons and zombies and then you get bouncy frog men. The two worlds don't really mix.

Hmmmm..... quite nice though.
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

hmm i put BG2 down after about 2 hours play... found it very samey and boring.... hardly challenging... (after a 3 day download :( )

been playing the Sega Genesis Rom Emulator on the X-Box the last few days....

can't believe there's so many ST games on it..

speedball 2
Xenon 2
Chaos Engine
Killing Game Show
Gods

(all my favorite Bitmap Bros games :D )

970 odd games on a normal CDR :D

along with the original Sonic

and the stick works aswell :D

Yam Boy
Last edited by Yam Boy on Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

and what a trim there Reece!!!!!!

bit different to the Jesus look ;)

my hair's still the same as it was 6 years ago :?

Yam Boy
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

I know - the trim was severe. I did it myself with clippers mainly. I was getting fed up with the maintenance of my curly wig.

Shame about Baulders Gate 2, it could have been a lot better. I would have prefered more sprawling open landscapes and less dungeons. Probably more party based as all.

One of the later levels does actually involve 2 NPCs traveling with you through some rather well put together mine sections. The game really starts to come into its own.

Its that slogging through 3 tiered areas to wind up at another samey boss fight that gets me down after a while.

The greatest hook for me has always been the aquiring of goodies to upgrade.

Oh dear... Jim Davidson is on the box... off to kill myself :cry:
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Cheers for the discs beardy

;)

Anything else your after at the mo?
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

To be honest, I have no idea what else may be floating around at the moment.

I am quite happy to plod on with BG2 in multiplayer for a while using the new character unlocked and work my way through Sonic (which does look really good fun).

It is a shame in a way that the adventure elements from Sonic 1 (DC) are not included in this particular version, but, I like the general aesthetic and silly music/character voices. It does have that child-like innocence intact, and that my friends, is no bad thing at all IMO :wink:

So, I suppose, to round up this post: what else is there?
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

:lol: I should have expected that shouldn't I?

Nothing thats earth shattering at the moment is out but there is another RPG can't think the name (anyone else?) thats due out soon based not on the Balders Gate ruleset but another one .. Anyway when thats finally about I'll chuck a copy in the post to ya..

Me I have jst got Animal Crossing for the GC (the US version with a free memory card for 20 quid :shock: ) so thats going to be my game of choice for awhile. Mainly because the Xbox is too heavy to take to Work each week ;)

Right I'm off for a bit of BG2 and maybe a vid or two..

Laters.
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

just watched Ninja Scroll........ getting into my Manga Movies @ the moment....

also downloading Sphinx And The Cursed Mummy from emule

don't know nothing about it... apart from someone from work recommended it...

mates been playing the beta online hacked version of world of warcraft, looks fecking amazing....

Yam Boy
jimi d
Supreme Member

Post by jimi d »

What about GTA Vice City Beardo? worth it for the soundtrack alone, and also a top game. Also Beyond Good and Evil is ace, got it on ps2 but I guess the xbox version is the same but with a slightly better framerate..
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

What is Beyond Good & Evil? Hmmm.... I could check the net I suppose and see for myself :wink:

Right - off to see !

(just finished watching those David Icke vids Jim :wink: thanks!)
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Ninja Scroll
Yep - pretty good. I assume you have seen Ghost In A Shell ?
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

yup... bought a shitload of Manga/Cartoons off play.com last month... about £120 on DVD's :?

really like that Ghost In The Shell.... Lupin The Thirds another favorite (got 3 of them) (lupinthethird.com)

i downloaded Ninja Resurrection yesterday.... but the story's way too confusing and no where near as good as Ninja Scroll

Yam Boy
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

that Sphinx and the cursed mummy looks quite cool... also looking forward getting the X-Box version of Tenchu 3 :D

may even be tempted to get XBox live for Tenchu

h**p://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/sphinx/index.html

Yam Boy
Mobious
Supreme Member

Post by Mobious »

Well the Sphinx and Mummys curse is not too bad at all. Kate is hooked on Sonic Heros at the min. I think she summed it up by saying its like the old Sonic but with better graphics! I think that pretty much sums it up. As long as you arent looking for some form of leap in gameplay then you are on to a winner. Personally I think Sega have been a bit lazy but its number 1 at the min. Beyond Good & Evil i have had for a while. I havent really had a chance to play it but from what I have seen I think it looks very promising.
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Yep - Sonic is nice :D

Metal Arms (as recommended by Jimi D) is also really good. I like the clunk clunk of metal and the cute robots knocking bolts out of each other.
jimi d
Supreme Member

Post by jimi d »

Never mind David Icke and Metal Arms Beardo, what about Napalm bleedin' Death???!!??? :lol:
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Napalm Death

My my ... that is bad!

I can't believe we used to aspire musically (well, kind of) to that pile of poo. The vocals especially. The guy playing guitar isn't too bad really ... what a waste!

Mike Green (yes, most don't know the guy here) still listens to an old disk he has of ND !!! with some fondness. Hehe .... this guy is a serious Jazz musician as well.

BTW - if Mr Moby is watching this thread, "Fizzle at The Old Mo" has a good night set on 24th Feb. Mike (above) is playing live with part of his band and there is another guy playing who was excellent last time round. Trust me, it's a freaky do!