Bland Games

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
Mobious
Supreme Member

Bland Games

Post by Mobious »

Well I have just played Republic the Revolution and Star Wars Jedi Academy, and I have to same I am not particularly impressed. Even Tron 2.0 is a little dissapointing, with regards to the multiplayer side anyway. Is it a case that our expectations are getting too high, or are wising up to the generic rubbish which is coming out? I have been reading a number of books on game design, and a lot of people come up with the same argument. Publishers wont risk an original title anymore. SYJA uses the Q3 engine and to be honest it just shows it age. I am really looking forward to Halflife 2 and Doom 3 and Deus Ex2, but I hope I am not going to be dissapointed again. They say that towards the end of this year, and next, will be the rebirth of the PC market, as we reach the end life of a lot of the consoles. Traditionally, this is when the PC comes back into vogue. I have to say that Star Wars Galaxies is really keeping me going. I cant belive how much like gold dust that game is! You cant even get it on Ebay!! It looks like the £45 i paid, is a really good investment. I have also been playing Battlefield 1942 and C&C Generals. It is games like this, why the PC is still there, but should multiplayer elements been the be all and end all? Last week I had a heated design meeting, because people were arguing that the single player story driven game is dying. No one wants to hear the story anymore. DO we really have such a low attention span?? You might of guessed, its late and Im totally pissed, but come on back me up guys. Do you still want a decent story behind a game?
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Indeed I do sir Moby.

The joy I used to get out of games like Sam & Max on PC. Pure story driven nonsense from beginning to end. I personally would still sit down and play such a linear game, just to hit upon the gags and excellent scripting.

Maybe it is partly to do with getting decent writers involved. Erm, like Iain Banks for instance.

Alan Moore - now theres a name. Imagine Alan Moore turing his attention to the video game world. Pop V for Vendetta & The Watchmen in the company library and insist that the whole crew involved in software creation plough through those classics at least twice to pick out the genius.

Also, as you know, the marketing bullshit surrounding games nowadays is definetly stifling creativity. Strict deadlines can't help either. Basically, when big business moved in, a lot of abstract design models must have moved out.

I believe that eventually the video game market will collapse if it doesn't evolve beyond the corporate structure.
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

I do, story that is, reason I love the final fantasy games or games of the same genre, but thats only one particular genre, which is very story orientated. If the game is good and fun the story should just compliment it rather than be a focus point of the game.

Halflife 2 should be good, everything I've seen and this about this oozes with hours of fun.
Starwars: Knights of Old Republic: Heard very good things about this also.

Also Starwars Galaxies isn't out over here yet until late this year(december time), i'm hoping by the time it is out here it won't be so buggy. I normally order import game titles from dvdboxoffice.com and they do have it.

Next big mmorpg in my opinion is World of Warcraft, althougth EQ2 took best online multiplayer award at ECTS, i'd rather play WoW cause I have faith in Blizard to do a good job :)
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

mmmm... Blizzard :D
Mobious
Supreme Member

Post by Mobious »

Well, I very nearly worked for the guys who are making WOW about a year and a half ago. But the person in question was an arse, and told me I had the job, but kept me waiting for two months, to then say there had been some "restructuring" GRRR. Oh well!
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

I think most people in the games industry shouldn't be there. They aren't artists, just blaggers. They don't care about games, just about the wages. This is the element that will eventually rot the spirit of the prophets & poets.
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

Horizons(http://www.istaria.com) is shaping up and looking pretty decent now.

That sucks Mobious :(
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

sounds like you were slowly being shafted up the poo poo hole mobius...

ahhhh but Warcraft 3is a hell of an amazing game.... & frozen throne...

I've spent an average of 2 hours a day on those games over the last year... can't wait for the World Of Warcraft

The only other game that has gripped me recently is Star Wars Knights Of the Old Republic on the X-Box - amazing game.... i wasted 13 hours last bank holiday on it....... i have almost clocked the game now and will replay it straight away playing on the dark side this time (you can choose)...

i haven't been this completely hooked on a game since Final Fantasy 7

Yam Boy