Thoughts on site?

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Thoughts on site?

Post by Chain »

Just finished putting together a site for the local club I play cards at..
Mainly an updated site but I though I would sort things out a little neater this time.

Ok so you guys might no know anything about what the sites going on about but whats ya thoughts on the layout and navigation?

http://www.eastbourne-elemental.com
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

Looks good Shane, only a few things I would change if it was my site:

Fixed length news posts. Looks alittle strange to me that they are all different lengths accross the screen.

And I would have used the forums for the news, and displayed it on the front page using synidication. Then people would need to post on the forums to post comments (so promoting the forums at the same time), as well as keeping one common interface type.

Also with the syndication stuff you could add a box on the front page showing the last 5 posts or so.

But these are more personal preferences. Overall the site looks very good, good job.
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Looks good to me - for what you are trying to achieve, it works :wink:
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Stelf wrote:Looks good Shane, only a few things I would change if it was my site:

Fixed length news posts. Looks alittle strange to me that they are all different lengths accross the screen.

And I would have used the forums for the news, and displayed it on the front page using synidication. Then people would need to post on the forums to post comments (so promoting the forums at the same time), as well as keeping one common interface type.

Also with the syndication stuff you could add a box on the front page showing the last 5 posts or so.

But these are more personal preferences. Overall the site looks very good, good job.
Hmm some of the club members are a little harsh with their Language so I didn't want a Direct link from the Forums, only people I give access to can edit 90% of the site, the mainly visable parts ;) Things like the Comments are hidden away the same as the forums.

On the initial site some years ago I did give all people access to post and ended up with swearing and crapola on the main page, when I removed it people went a bit bonkers and well it got silly.. So I have tried to stay away from this as younger people visit the site and the idea is to encourage them to pop along to the club, not alienate them with swearing and other crap.

I did think about linking into the main section of the forums and posting news from that, promoting the forum and allowing members to login from the front page.. But that then makes the site look too club orientated, which its not, its for club members but also for people just interested in the game sooo..

All the software that drives the site (Coranto) has been hacked something horrid to achieve the overall look, doing somethings that it really shouldn't be able to ;) all in all I'm a little surprised I managed to get it to work at all LOL