Lewaving the industry

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
Mobious
Supreme Member

Lewaving the industry

Post by Mobious »

Well after 7 years I am leaving the games industry. It has been a very very hard decision to make but I am sick and tired of a small group of people making a lot of money out of the general good will and pride of people who work on the titles. You work long hours and rarely get paid for them. You can work your guts out and the game might get canned leaving you stranded. I felt I could make an impact and all I wanted to do was to come up with a game idea and see it out to fruition, but instead I find publishers with their own agendas, that can come in and completely change an idea, and then complain when it looks crap, but wont take the responsibility for them fucking it up in the first place.
I have made some very good friends, but I feel I have wasted my last 7 years, I forgone things like holidays away and for what? Jack shit. I get to say I played a few games, well that certainly helps you get a job I dont think, yet I still see people making money doing very little. Games are becoming more generic as companies wont take any risks, and now the US has done its usual trick and bought up everyone. Expect Eidos to go in the next month, i have heard through the grape vine that they are in talks with people, but hey we have heard that before! Once again we are the trailblazers being raped by the Americans in their quest for world domination. They are managing to fuck us over on so many different levels and we are the 51state of America. Yet is it better to become part of the EU, as they are now the a force that the US are worried about, so how long before something happens and everyone just gives in once more. I am sick to death of imperialism in its many forms, the need for possesions as an indicator of how well we are doing, and yet we dont have time to help a fellow human being. I am thoroughly pissed of with all of it. Sooner or later it is all going to go tits up, it will happen in our life time, and I can see it coming but feel helpless to stop it. As I have said many a time I am not religious, but sometimes you have to except things on face value, except the fact that there are things we dont understand or comprehend. Like Sarah Connor was told in Terminator, there is a storm coming...........
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

big stinky poo poo's then Mr Mobious?

sorry to hear the bad news... although it might lead to better things

ahh sorry to say it but i don't think it matters what industry you are in; if your nose isn't brown enough then you are not in...

sure old Darth will vouch for me on that one ;) (as he was well in)

Yam Boy
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Yikes, sorry to hear that. :(

Unfortunately, as said above, seems to be any industry that new fresh ideas are stifled, even at uni.

One of my mates who graduated three years ago from our course had really good skills in director and flash, and always came up with some of the most weird but good stuff (have a look at http://www.bombthebass.com and http://www.electrictones.com to see what I mean). My course leader at the time was worried about whether he'd get a job though, because his stuff was so different he was afraid it would scare away many companies. Sadly he was right.

There's just no room to be different anymore, and it sucks... :cry:
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

ahh sorry to say it but i don't think it matters what industry you are in; if your nose isn't brown enough then you are not in...
Too true.
DARTH
Hehehehehe - joy, I forgot that nickname ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

There's just no room to be different anymore, and it sucks
I believe we are all joined by spirit, but you are right, like a 1000 oak trees, they are all of the same family, yet each have their own quirks.

The mighty $$$ is ruling the world at present.
Toy

Post by Toy »

I know where you're coming from.

I'd love to leave the industry...and hope to do so soon. However, I do quite fancy dabbling with some "indie" game development.