Next gen consoles ?

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Next gen consoles ?

Post by beardfreak »

Which one based upon your current affections will you be looking towards?

Or will you wait to see which one gets hacked first?

Or the one that has the most power !

Myself, based on sheer usage, I look forward to the next Xbox (of the chipped variety).
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Hard to say. There hasn't been many games that have appealed to me recently.

The DS sounds a little bizarre (as usual), but even if Nintendo are being battered at the moment, who wouldn't look forward to their own games?! :)

Based on sheer usage though, like you Simon would have to be the next Xbox. Networked Halo has been taking up too much time! :D
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Well I'll have to be different.. And say looking forward to the next Nintendo offering.. After playing some of the games on all three platforms I'd have to say that the GC is by far the best (if you can afford it that is)..

The next Xbox will be a BARSTARD to hack so don't expect anything to happen on it for AGES.. Its going to use a IBM chip so Emulation is going to be bloody hard and well.. Backwards compatibilty is not going to happen..

I have an interest in seeing what the PS3 is going to be like having owned a PS2 and played NO games on it I find it a big waste of space, fingers crossed the PS3 will come closer to the ideal, who wants those bloody loading times!!

:)
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Hmmm... I may be swayed by Nintendo, but, I haven't really given the existing console much of a chance to be honest with you folks.

Partially due to friends not being inspired by the games and thus, we don't play them as a group. I tried with Mario Kart and they just sat there and said the graphics were poo and the controls were poo. I tried to explain that the enjoyment lay beyond the aesthetic and momentary grappling with the controls, but no joy.

Where as, Halo, now that is another matter altogether.
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

I've never been fussed with the Sony offerings at all. More games than sense. I was quite impressed with the EyeToy though, that was fun.

Also if anybody actually got the Zelda bonus disk which had the 4 games on it, and saw that piss-poor conversion of Majora's Mask, hope Nintendo don't continue too far the re-make road. :roll: :cry:
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Backwards compatibilty is not going to happen
Thats a real shame. It really adds to the appeal of a console to me.

Nevermind.
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

Chain wrote:Backwards compatibilty is not going to happen..
hmmm C&VG states otherwise....

out of the 3 current current consoles i have to say the X-Box is the superior one IMO...

hardly ever use my PS2 since getting the X-Box and the GC has just been gathering dust since purchased last year :(

Yam Boy
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

It could be partially down to the fact that most of us have had the ability to invest in several systems.

Many moons ago (ahem) I only had one machine at any one time (in the 80s) and had to make do.

My favour used to shine upon that machine and that machine alone.

If I were restricted only to the GC and a handful of games, that system would be the system of my boasting.

Another factor is piracy. Having being spoilt by "free game" syndrome again, may have cast a shadow over other games that really require more time and effort to draw out the richness.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Hmm Have to agree with you Simon..

Except.. I like the GC and err I have to buy all my games for it :shock:

I'd be interested how the hell they're going to emulate a P3 800 with something thats well a different cpu and chipset running only a tad faster.. Unless they include the chipset of an xbox? which seems a bit daft, still the PS2 did it.. mind you they had 8 years ??

Still looking forward the Ninty offering.. :)
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

I read that the IBM chips are being based on the G5's, and the dev kits are up and running on them already..... as an example, the G5 doesn't work with the current version of Virtual PC. so unless an Intel chip is put in there, backwards compatibility would be pretty crappy overall. Very unlikely they'd bother with software emulation.