Broadband Wars !

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Broadband Wars !

Post by beardfreak »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3521539.stm

Still using dial-up, so, hmmmm .... interesting, glad I held out. Looks like the flood gates are opening at last.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

To be honest this sort of thing has been around for sometime now with PlusNet and Tiscali offering services for much the same price.

Its interesting to note the 1Gb Monthly limit though.. This means its no good for P2P users or heavy users who download lots of data. In fact its no good for homeworkers who use VPN either as I suspect this would go over the 1Gb Monthl limit too..

It is good for people with kids at home who want something cheap or people who just do small amounts of surfing..

Tempting for those they must be aware of the costs that may be charged for going over this Limit..

When you consider I used to pay for 6Gb from EasyNews and eat that in 3 days on my old 512k connection you start to see the problems!

:shock:
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

1 gig a month???

i could piss that on my 56k modem each month....

I transfer about 2 gig a day easily now....

Yam Boy
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Yes, the limiting is a tad unfair IMO. I assume it is to put off file sharing. I can see why, but in effect, that will probably put off people from joining in the first place. Being as most people like to pluck free stuff out of the digital ether and use it.

Like... music, games, videos.

The Blueyonder package (256k) is £17.99 a month and limits you to 750 Meg a day I think.

A little better, but still limiting.

Probably better to cough up the extra and plug for the 25 quid deal.
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

has been around for sometime now with PlusNet and Tiscali
Ah - but you have to be a BT customer you see :wink:
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Chortle.. Yes sadly yu do have to be a BT customer or at least have a BT phoneline.. You can use someone else for the phone but it has to be a BT line for the DSL to work..

Saying that Cable has a better cost basis as you normally have a few more features that balance the cost out.
750mb a day is pretty reasonable to be honest so thats not too bad..
If your not going to use P2P apps that is one to look at..

;)