Saturn boot Disk?

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Saturn boot Disk?

Post by Chain »

Is there such a thing?

Bought a Saturn from eBay the other week and have been playing around with it a bit this weekend but although I have found lots of sites (ftp and otherwise) that have Images I'm none the wiser about this bugger.. Anyone got any info, before I start truddling through the net in search of the answers?
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

If you mean a "boot disk" to allow pirate games to run, well, they do actually exist. At least I remember one existing at Eidos when I first joined and it got thrown out along with a heap of other stuff apparently.

Where you would get one from now though - no idea!

So I guess this post has been of no use at all :lol:
Yozz

Post by Yozz »

Yes Sega produced a disc that you could boot from on a normal Saturn that would allow you to play debug code etc. on standard CD-R. I used to have one in my desk, (when I worked at a certain games company) but it disappeared.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

So I take it that i'm going to have to mod my Saturn then :(
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

You could "mod it" I suppose. Although considering that you will only end up playing a handful of games on it after a while (due to the age of the system) ... it may be an idea just to buy 2nd hand stuff off Ebay. Unless you are particularly diehard and want all of the obscure Jap imports.
Yozz

Post by Yozz »

Well I really wish I’d taken a bit more care of that disc. If you could get hold of an ISO image of the said disc you should be sorted. Obviously it was only available to developers, but I suppose there maybe a slight chance that someone nice enough may have released it for general consumption.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

My understanding of the Saturn disc is that it was abit like the GC's one for structure meaning that you couldn't just copy it.. Although saying that I have found it hard to come by any information on the subject.. its like the Saturn just dropped off the face of the planet!

Well back to the search I guess.. ;)
Bentley
Supreme Member

Post by Bentley »

As far as i know you can copy saturn games with no real problem but you cant copy some copy protection bit so you either need the saturn modded or do the swap trick. Dunno if the swap trick differs between model 1 and 2 saturns (mine's model 1) but its pretty easy. Just unscrew the saturn case and stick something on the lever thing that detects when the lids open. Put case back on. You need an original disc to swap with. Stick copy in first while saturn logo comes up and the disc reads briefly. Swap with an original disc and the drive light flashes about 3 times then you swap back to the copy and shut the lid. If your not modding the saturn tho you'll have to patch the isos before you burn them so they play on european consoles. This site has some good forums (especially the ftp section which you have to register to see). http://www.phantasy-star-universe.com/ and you can get the patcher from the help & faq section under saturn utilities... yup. If you want a list of recommended games, just ask me. :P
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

Yozz wrote:Yes Sega produced a disc that you could boot from on a normal Saturn that would allow you to play debug code etc. on standard CD-R. I used to have one in my desk, (when I worked at a certain games company) but it disappeared.
lol i saw this thread today... and thought that little hat man will have the disc.... but no.... it looks like Bentley's saved the day :?

how's thing's Yozz? still drinking like a fish? i've grown quite partial to quite a few bevvy's each night myself....

Yam Boy