Windows SP2

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Windows SP2

Post by Yam Boy »

anyone using this yet???

1st impressions???

firewall seems complete rubbish...

never even prompted me when using Javascript.... just refused access

and then it lets other programs access the net automatically....

quite surprised Microshit release something so flawed

(although not officially released - i think)

after the install i then read that it's not compatible with around 200 programs.. microsoft programs included :D

Yam Boy
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

I have been using it for 2 months now.. Hmm
I have a mixed feeling on it too.. One thing that is good is the popup blocker built in, as for the firewall I wouldn't trust a software one with anything these days so it's disabled.

;)

And yes lots of sites now do not work, because IE has fits every 5 mins.
Mobious
Supreme Member

Post by Mobious »

Been using it for around 2 weeks now and the first thing I did was turn off the firewall, I will let my router handle that. There are a number of major security flaws in it though so expect the next lof of updates to fix the updates to fix the updates etc etc
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Anyone else had problems getting any media player codecs to install?
Ever since I have installed it I have been unable to install DivX codecs so I'm stuffed with video play back.. I may well hae to re-install after finding this out :(
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

I had tried Beta RC1, its not bad, it changes alot of the system files, I never really came to a strong conclusion on it though, it screwed up my windows installation once, so I stopped using it. (kinda expected it would since beta, and a complete overhaul of the systme files, so np)

But after getting home last night it forcefully installed itself, hopefully the same issue doesn't happen again.
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

Chain wrote:Anyone else had problems getting any media player codecs to install?
Ever since I have installed it I have been unable to install DivX codecs so I'm stuffed with video play back.. I may well hae to re-install after finding this out :(
media player is focked....... Cowboy Bebop.avi worked fine before, now the picture is all blocky....

heard lots of complaints on another forum about playing movies....

works fine through Power DVD though....

sorta come to the conclusion that media player is a waste of time, I've stopped playing mp3's through it now aswelll

Yam Boy
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Installed it Monday and so far, no problems at all ... so a thumbs up here!

Disabled the Firewall, although not sure why and using ZoneAlarm at the moment.

Don't really know a lot about Firewalls though, so just go with what I know.

How safe am I with a software-based Firewall? :?
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

How safe am I with a software-based Firewall?
Zonealarm is very good, but a hardware firewall or a specific machine running a linux firewall will always be better (much better security than windows if setup correctly).

Hardware firewall will always be best protection since its not let down by potentially holes or bugs in the OS.

Just keep Zonealarm up-to-date and you should be protected well enough at least.