The UK

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
dan
Supreme Member

The UK

Post by dan »

A mate of mine's doing a project based on people's real views of Southampton, but he's decided to do something based on Britain too...

So basically what mainly do/don't you like about this country? My main dislike, for example, would be the public transport system.

Thought I'd post this here, as there's a few people that would have quite strong views! :wink:
kernal
< ADMIN >

Re: The UK

Post by kernal »

dan wrote:A mate of mine's doing a project based on people's real views of Southampton, but he's decided to do something based on Britain too...

So basically what mainly do/don't you like about this country? My main dislike, for example, would be the public transport system.

Thought I'd post this here, as there's a few people that would have quite strong views! :wink:
  • Ignorance.

Kids in Vauxhall Nova's wearing baseball caps.

People who feel the need to wear designer sport/training attire when they couldn't even spell 'keep fit'.

Miserable sales assistants.

Untrained sales assistants (especially the morons in Comet & Currys).

Shops that seem to think they are running a discothèque.

Postmen who knock at 7am in the morning, and wait for you for about 10 seconds before walking off, knowing full well they are dragging you out of bed. BASTARDS!

OAP's who stand and talk at post office counters instead of handing over their mail/bills and pissing off.

Loud music in pubs.

People who can't park a car in the allotted space.

TV stations that display horrible station logos that distract from my viewing pleasure (not specifically UK related I suppose!).

Having to queue behind 10 people in ASDA even though there are 20 unattended tills.
More to come no doubt.... <walks of grumbling>
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

So then not much wrong then :p

Hmm...

Saw a film last night about the future based on chemicals and emotions (Bit like Equalibriam spelling?) very interesting to note the things that are almost the same the world over today.. Hmm

My thoughts..

Shops shutting 20 mins early when they know your arriving to pick up goods.

Computer shops employing monkeys who know sod all about the product(s) they're selling, hang on that could be every shop :shock:

Going to go off and have a think now.. Hmm
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

A government that professes to be whiter than white and then feels it has the right along with the US to bomb the hell out of poor countires, like, ahem, Iraq.

A central Church that is endowed with riches and priviledge and has nothing of value to say.

A rotting and putrid pop culture that helps to enforce material driven media values. At the same time pushing "real" music underground and in its own way helping to make the general populations IQ level drop.

Inner city bus services that for the most part smell of urine.

Too many cars on the road.

The UK aspiring to US values. In the sense of culture and direction.

The bubbling undercurrent of the (for the most part) hateful hip-hop scene currently affecting youth culture. Encouraging the disaffected to aspire and go beyond their station in life. How many gold chains, bitches, open top cars & shooters can a council estate dude actually afford?

The entertainment industry that exists up it's own backside.

POP IDOL (see above) !!!!

An education system that exists for the "career" minded. Read - selfish.

... I'm going to have to stop now, I am beginning to get angry ! :x
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Thanks guys.... ;)

I'll pass this on. I knew I'd get an interesting reaction from here... :lol:

Any more, feel free to add! :shock: :)
Having to queue behind 10 people in ASDA even though there are 20 unattended tills.
Phew, thought I was the only one!!
An education system that exists for the "career" minded. Read - selfish.
If only you knew mate.... paritcularly this place! :( I'm just glad I'm getting out in a few months time. :x
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

If only you knew mate.... paritcularly this place! I'm just glad I'm getting out in a few months time.
Yep - I know. I'm glad you have discerned this for yourself through your own experience. A credit to you sir !

How many times do you hear people being applauded on chat shows (read: Trasha, erm, Trisha) for "I'm gettin' a degwee Trasha" ... audience whistles and loudly applauds! As if it "really" means anything in reality, aside from teh bolstering of the persons ego and the support of the festering materialistic institutions. REALITY !! Usually that person conforms to the self-seeking type, who thinks that a "degwee" leads to financial gateways swinging wide open and a world of possibilities flooding in. Which may be true to a degwee :lol: but what a world vision eh! Me first, get a degwee, get a great job, get loads of money ... yadda yadda yadda (Jimi D - I slipped that Yadda in for thee sir).

The person is really after what in life? Riches. Great :roll: Round of applause.
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Cor, blimey, hope that don't mean you watch Trisha mate... ;) ;) ;)
Yep - I know. I'm glad you have discerned this for yourself through your own experience. A credit to you sir !
Cheers, but real credit lies in having a kick up the arse when needed!! ;)

The final nail in the coffin for this place came a few weeks ago, when we handed in one of our projects. Two days later, we went to hand in our dissertations, only to be told that the work we handed in before had been thrown out by the cleaners! I was lucky - only had to reburn a CD - but some people lost six weeks worth of sketchbooks. The uni's solution? Have an extra two weeks... hmmm. :? :x But then, that's the realities of the workplace too...

I love Southampton, and what it's done for me over the years, but I want to move on. Once I graduate out of this course, I'm looking at doing one of those one-year teaching placements in Japan... be a big culture shock, but I really want to do more travelling. I turned 23 two weeks ago, so want to get as much in as possible. :D

I agree in some ways with what you're saying Simon, but then again, only the ones that just go for the p*ss-ups every night for two-three years are in for a shock, especially if they take Graphic Design. Working here in Halls and you see just how many people go off the rails when they're finally let loose by their parents. What pisses me off most though is these other courses they brought in - Football Studies for f**k's sake, Computer and Video Games... :? :roll:

Having said that, certain people never change... ;) Second from left! :D
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

The uni's solution? Have an extra two weeks... hmmm. But then, that's the realities of the workplace too...
It is indeed. It reminds me of when I submitted some forms to the Council last year and they lost them! Only to be told that it was my fault for not getting a receipt. Even though the lady I passed them to assured me that she would sort it out.

Trust is misplaced when it comes to official bodies in my personal experience.

2 weeks is unfair and negligent; displaying the kind of attitude one comes to expect in this clinical society we so carefully craft and support.

I am not for one moment attacking you as an individual with my tirade against institution, simply the institution and it's collective ideals. How relevant is the current education system? What does it actually provide the individual? What does it actually provide society by extention?

IMO (and it may be blinkered - it may be truthful) it is there to further the cause of the materialist. We are all snared to a greater or lesser degree by this money driven society, but it is the degree that counts and the lusting after wealth that perverts what we could be as a sentient race.

My vision may be Utopian and would require a stripping apart of the very foundation that we have constructed within the current running of this system of life.

That would include eradication of the political empire and also a restructuring of the education system to include a sound moral base built upon a new vision of our reality that benefits "all" and not just "the few".

Dream on Simon .... dream on.

It is a good job that I have my spiritual goggles on, because whilst wearing those, anything seems possible.

Empires rise, empires fall.

But I digress.