I love my job...

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
dan
Supreme Member

I love my job...

Post by dan »

Couldn't resist to tell this story.....

I've been helping out with the Halls of residence network setup to get people connected to the net through their rooms. Anyway, since iTunes became available for Windows there was a lot of that sharing going on.

Anyway, this evening I get a phone call from the boss (Sunday!) telling me to look into a fault or setup problem because some people had complained about their machine's being hacked into. i.e. music had been copied. Noticed one guy who was sharing music had playlists pretty much identical to other people's including mine...

Checked it out, and changed the name of my playlist to an appropriate message, playing dumb, along the lines of "How are you copying music? Talk to me using Rendezvous on iChat". Five minutes later, I get a message saying "how did you know?"... duhhh!

Turned out though it wasn't the guy! he was copying music, but using an md plugged into the audio out, then transferring it back! My message had scared the sh*te out of him!

Anyway, went back to finding the guy, who again had no idea how I traced him (duh, exact duplicate of playlists? twat). Problem was it seemed to be clogging up the network... :(

Difficult to know what to do now, but he has pissed a lot of people off...
kernal
< ADMIN >

Re: I love my job...

Post by kernal »

dan wrote: Difficult to know what to do now, but he has pissed a lot of people off...
Go easy on him. We've all been there :)
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Problem I've got is the number of people wanting blood. I've been getting loads of people complaining about the network being down, and about music from their collections being copied. I've told them straight that they can turn off their sharing if they want to, but they say it's all up to us. :evil: (the other guy I tracked down was using a program called myTunes to download the stream that itunes provided in windows)

The hall manager is back tomorrow, and by the sounds of things he's going to get plenty of people whinge at him. In the end if he's put under pressure (and the senior residence bloke comes around on a monday) then words will be had.

It's 2.15am, and I'm still getting calls! :( Why did I have to be so f'ing nice?
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Well I'm sure you have sorted it all out by now.. The easest thing to do would be pull the blokes connection and quote Uni regs about piracy or some such.. I have had the same problem with people before they are given a 100mb connection and expect that its perfectly fine to max it out 24/7 ...

If he/they want to share music, fine but suggest that the option my be blocked if the abuse continues, port blocking is simple and effective. I suspect if you blocked the port(s) of Kazaa/eMule/OverNet etc and iTunes you could say it is a security messure.. Thats assuming yu have installed intelligent Swicthes.. If not.. .. >... Well turn off your phone and complain that you have been made deaf by over use... ;)
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Well, the end result was basically what you said Shane - but they also quoted disciplinary procedures onto him.

There was one interesting bit though - nothing to do with the story as such - but i got talking to one of the girls who had her music nicked, found out we were both from the area I went to school, and THEN found out she's the daughter of my deputy head from secondary school seven years ago! :lol:

Small world... :)