Freaky Fun At The Funky Wind Farm..

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Freaky Fun At The Funky Wind Farm..

Post by Chain »

Hello peeps..

Well now been here, or here abouts, for nearly 5 weeks (5th week).. And finally starting to get my head around working away from home during the week.. Sucks big time, but the beer, food and accom is free so what the hell!

The only saving grace is that I have taken to playing my GC in the evenings, yey for Ninty..

So what you lot up to these days????

Mike you still doing the web stuff?
Simon still doing the arty/web stuff?
Dan still chatting the ladies up (lol)?
And the rest??????

Right off to the quay now to see whats wrong with the Dsl connection *again* sigh.. same old game different players LOL
kernal
< ADMIN >

Post by kernal »

Still webbing for a (piss poor) living.

My free time however is now mostly taken up runnig www.419eater.com which is now averaging 8,000 visitors a day. Sunday before last (16th) I had 46,000 unique visits. Had to but a HUGE amount of extra bandwidth to cope :(
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Cor Blimey!!

Well done matey.. you making money from .. ads or something?
dan
Supreme Member

hehe...

Post by dan »

It's been all-go here, been keeping myself occupied with my final year of uni, and a few side projects...

I've found myself on the road a lot (laptops change the way you do things big time i've noticed!), making money here and there on top of my halls job. Just finished a rather basic design for somebody's car bumper or something... here.

Put on a bit of weight too, which is now coming down, thank god... just the double chin to work on now! ;) and currently involved with someone really nice from your neck of the woods Shane (now you know why I try and make it there regularly now!). Changed my drinking habits slightly too! Planning some more travelling at the end of the year, and of course the old driving lessons. Really saving hard!

And musn't forget my new flatmates this year! ;) helps me feel younger and more immature (if that was possible! :) )
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Good to hear from you Shane, I thought you were quiet!!

Yep, still doodling for Reggae Retro and just completed some work for a book due out next year & a few other side projects :wink:

Smoking the odd herbal ciggy.

Listening to Dead Can Dance at the moment 8)

Supporting a friend who has just come out of an intense & destructive relationship.

Puzzling over the eternal questions as usual.

Hoping for a better future for us all.

& thats about it I think.

Oh yes, also playing 'Mario Kart' on GC & Halo (multiplayer) on Xbox. All good fun!
kernal
< ADMIN >

Post by kernal »

beardfreak wrote:Good to hear from you Shane, I thought you were quiet!!

Yep, still doodling for Reggae Retro and just completed some work for a book due out next year & a few other side projects :wink:

Smoking the odd herbal ciggy.

Listening to Dead Can Dance at the moment 8)

Supporting a friend who has just come out of an intense & destructive relationship.

Puzzling over the eternal questions as usual.

Hoping for a better future for us all.

& thats about it I think.

Oh yes, also playing 'Mario Kart' on GC & Halo (multiplayer) on Xbox. All good fun!
Still can't believe I haven't bought MarioKart yet! What's your verdict Simon?
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Mario Kart: Double Dash

Hmmm... a very difficult question to answer Mike. I love it and I despise it at the same time!

First impressions were deceptive my friend. I popped the disk in, gave it a spin and watched the opening sequence and thought corrrrrrrrrrr more Mario Karting fun!

The graphics are lovely in places, although not especially remarkable. The tracks are well put together with loads to see and explore. The riders are well rendered and all of the usual characters are present (aside from Toad :cry: - maybe unlockable?).

The actual karts handle ok and there is a wide variety of rider combinations to choose from which effects your gameplay. They do not handle as tightly as Mario Kart 64 IMO, but thats maybe because I haven't practised enough yet and may be a bit crap at the moment :wink:

The single player experience is certainly more varied than the previous Mario Kart games, due to the track design and HUGE variety of weapons on offer. Sight seeing plays a part and I suspect that after extended play the single player game will inevitably become tedious.

I could be wrong.

Anyway ... my main criticism is the utter chaos that breaks out. To watch the chaos is fun, but to be part of the chaos when you have beaten all opponents, are on the last lap and then the following events occur ain't too funny :evil: ........

Your closest rival uses his super power on you and a huge 'fekkin' spikey shell spins up the track, knocking your kart flying. When I say HUGE, I mean H U G E.

You lose your power up that you have held for half a lap and then two karts pass you by. A shell hits you as are taking a ridiculously cluttered ramp with speed boosts - there are 6 banana skins on the ramp.

Hitting a banana skin pushes you towards the left side of the ramp, you miss the speed boost strip and fall off the end. Knocked into oblivion and out of the race.

This happens way too often IMO and is simply frustrating.

Completing the cup races quite often feels random rather than skill based. Although I suppose you could argue that within the chaos there exists miraculous skill.

I haven't played the game multiplayer yet, but suspect that there lies the greater joy.

Mike - I'd say get it and make your own mind up, as it is still a great piece of software and part of the Mario franchise ( ...and I know you love those games!).
kernal
< ADMIN >

Post by kernal »

Who the hell need a magazine review site when you have your own personal Beardfreak! :)

Thanks for the info Simon. I know your views on the Mario games very closely match mine, so I can always you as a good gauge as to whether I will enjoy a game :)

I think I'll take the plunge over the weekend and buy it.

Single player sounds interesting, but I'll probably get more play from multiplayer.

Cheers.

beardfreak wrote:Mario Kart: Double Dash

Hmmm... a very difficult question to answer Mike. I love it and I despise it at the same time!

First impressions were deceptive my friend. I popped the disk in, gave it a spin and watched the opening sequence and thought corrrrrrrrrrr more Mario Karting fun!

The graphics are lovely in places, although not especially remarkable. The tracks are well put together with loads to see and explore. The riders are well rendered and all of the usual characters are present (aside from Toad :cry: - maybe unlockable?).

The actual karts handle ok and there is a wide variety of rider combinations to choose from which effects your gameplay. They do not handle as tightly as Mario Kart 64 IMO, but thats maybe because I haven't practised enough yet and may be a bit crap at the moment :wink:

The single player experience is certainly more varied than the previous Mario Kart games, due to the track design and HUGE variety of weapons on offer. Sight seeing plays a part and I suspect that after extended play the single player game will inevitably become tedious.

I could be wrong.

Anyway ... my main criticism is the utter chaos that breaks out. To watch the chaos is fun, but to be part of the chaos when you have beaten all opponents, are on the last lap and then the following events occur ain't too funny :evil: ........

Your closest rival uses his super power on you and a huge 'fekkin' spikey shell spins up the track, knocking your kart flying. When I say HUGE, I mean H U G E.

You lose your power up that you have held for half a lap and then two karts pass you by. A shell hits you as are taking a ridiculously cluttered ramp with speed boosts - there are 6 banana skins on the ramp.

Hitting a banana skin pushes you towards the left side of the ramp, you miss the speed boost strip and fall off the end. Knocked into oblivion and out of the race.

This happens way too often IMO and is simply frustrating.

Completing the cup races quite often feels random rather than skill based. Although I suppose you could argue that within the chaos there exists miraculous skill.

I haven't played the game multiplayer yet, but suspect that there lies the greater joy.

Mike - I'd say get it and make your own mind up, as it is still a great piece of software and part of the Mario franchise ( ...and I know you love those games!).
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Another game I bought and have yet to stick in the GC.. :(

I expect to get maximum use from it over Xmas though :)

I'm a bit pissed off at the moment missing out on the Zelda Bonus pack thats with the GC now.. :(

!sob!
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Apparently you can/could get the bonus disc if you did something at Nintendo Europe's site... signed up for something or whatever. Something about credits? Haven't a clue, just somebody mentioned it...

Sorry, not much help there! :lol: ;)
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

is there anything worth playing through on the GC?

quite amazed at the price drop... i bought mine with Zelda & Metriod + mem card for £175

you can get one with 4 games for £80 now?!?!

neither of those games held my interest enough to complete them....

and i would like to think there's something worth playing on it (to get some of my moneys worth - lol

currently playing Manhunt on the PS2.... most violent game i've played..

it's like Hitman meets Metal Gear meets the Running Man (4 the storyline)

and it's by the Rockstar!!!!

Yam Boy
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Sadly the Nintendo Site only offers the disc that came with Zelda and not the one in the Mario Bundle.. :(

As for is it worth getting one.. Hmm I play mine a fair bit because its small and fits in my bag when I work away :) The range of games available for it now is pretty good and with some more great titles coming out soon its worth having one .. Then again if Zelda and Metriod didn't hold you I doubt your be too impressed with the rest due out soon..