Gamecube - Xbox or both ?

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Gamecube - Xbox or both ?

Post by beardfreak »

Some of us here have had the fortune to own both systems for quite a while now. Overall, which one do you prefer ?

I am having a new relationship with my GC at the moment and am currently trying to decide which system in reality offers the supreme gameplay/design through the available software titles.

My feelings after a return to Super Mario Sunshine, is that at present the GC has a certain quality to the key titles that the Xbox lacks. That is not to say that there are not "great" box titles, but overall when you look at WaveRace / MonkeyBall / Sunshine - these to me can't be matched on any other current system.

Thoughts ?
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

Well I like both, tend to go with what games I want and what is available, if Zelda was availble I would be saying Gamecube all the way. Metriod is a strong title for Gamecube imo and I want to play resident evil zero also. Eternal Darkness is cool.

Xbox I like the way this machine is going, swayed me over from a no way I would buy a Xbox stance, but now I own one I think if not for the possibility of running emulators and other homegrown s/w I would sell it. The games aren't what I expected, Halo is good but didn't hold my attention and way over hyped, and the rest of the games I have seen are pretty lacking imo, Spliter Cell being quality ofcourse. Just my opinion, I know alot of people like Halo, but didn't do much for me.

Overall both machines have downsides, but I think the machine with strong games in the pipeline is Gamecube.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Same here.. I have all 3 systems.

PS2 - Currently gathering dust under the desk last used over a month ago. Nothing interesting currently available that gets me wanting to turn it on and play a bit. Kingdom Hearts was ok for a bit but very samey so lost interest. GTA etc not my cup of tea totally uninteresting Zzzz

Xbox - Under my Telly. Bought this to watch DivX movies and nothing else, have no intention of *ever* buying a game for it. The Emulators are an added bonus (playing Gauntlet is a right laugh on the telly hehe).

GameCube - Under Telly, I guard this jealously and don't play it in front of anyone.. I hide away at weekends downstairs playing Mario or Starfox and await Zelda and Mario Kart with glee.. I have no qualms spending money on games for this machine as I play them. :)

And to top it all off the Gamecube has sold a hell of a lot because of the Argos deal (going from 100 units a day to 5000 last saturday :) ) And with the £20.00 games come the 4th it should improve even more.. One thing I keep wondering .. Should I order Zelda from the US.. or can I wait till May.. :shock:
kernal
< ADMIN >

Post by kernal »

Looks like most of you guys use the Xbox mainly for emulation. Makes me wonder if it's worth bothering with the Xbox then, as my PC will take on the emulation role better than the Xbox.

Pointless for me to buy the Xbox for the novelty of using an emulator on my big telly as her indoors would get pissed off very fast!

Still have the GC, although I haven't played it for a while (too busy), but I must make some time for it soon.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Yep got to be honest.. Emu's the only reason for me..

Hell I have tons of games.. but I play the GC and PC mostly for them..

Did play Halo for a bit.. but thats about it..

Still think the Xbox is a great bargain for the price.. but then I wanted it for DivX as I said and everything else is a bonus.. ;)
Bentley
Supreme Member

Post by Bentley »

I hate gamecube! But might pick one up when Zelda comes out. Didnt realise it was May tho. Still got to save for an xbox in time for Soul Calibur 2 :)
jimi d
Supreme Member

Post by jimi d »

Well I love all 3 equally....

But the best 1st party Nintendo games tend to have more 'soul'.....

Heck I still love my N64!
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

If you can afford an Xbox Mike - get one ! Regardless of the above thread, there are key titles like HALO that you won't get on any other system at present. Plus, there are stacks of great games (at Shane's reasonable price!) coming our way over the course of the next year. Remember that RARE are releasing stuf like - Conkers / Perfect Dark etc ... not to mention the Namco games.

I bought today:

Monkey Ball (GC) - £25
Ridge Racer 64 (N64) - £8 !!!!!

Both of which are superb !
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

hmmm i got an X-Box and a PS2 and i am completely undecided between the two?!?!?

I haven't played many retro games on the X-Box yet.... ST emulator would be cool though...

I've played and finished Spliter Cell, Halo & Dead To Rights....

I thoroughly enjoyed playing them all..... Halo was a little dissapointting with the lack of variety in the enemies.. but fun..

I have got some other games which haven't held my attention...

PS2 has loads of great games.... currently spending plenty of hours on the great Tenchu 3 Mark Of Kri.... although GTA Vice just didn't seem as much fun as GTA3....

the up side to the X-Box is that copied games come on 1 disc and if you are lucky you even get about 5-6 games on 1 ;)

which is nice.... Devil May Cry 2 on the PS2 is on 4 CD's :(

Yam Boy
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

4 cds?

Hmm I have it on one dvd ;)
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

ahhh i only have a neo geo 2 chip... and couldn't be arsed to get an action replay and then have to do even more swap tricks using originals with bigger total disc size than the copy you are trying to play (i think it's called TOC)

is yours chipped with a messiah?

or do you have to do numerous cd changes?

Yam Boy
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Hehe have you ahh best check out the Swap Magic discs then.. ;)

They let you play DVD-R games too..

:)
Toy

Post by Toy »

Hmm, well at the moment, I only have a Gamecube and an Afterburner GBA (with Rom flasher).

I must agree that the screen on the Afterburner seems far superior to the new GBA. Much brighter and less washed out, imo.

I only have 5 games for my Gamecube at the moment. Res Evil Zero (a bit boring to be honest), Monkey Ball 2 (TOP!!!), Mario Sunshine (nice, but doesn't grab me. Quality product, nevertheless), Time Splitters 2 (a bit basic, but kinda fun) and Eternal Darkness, which I have had for over a week and still haven't played it! haha

At times, I wish I had a PS2 to play Vice City on, but I otherwise have no wish for an XBox or PS2. I do tend to feel there's more (marginally) quality with Gamecube titles.

Roy
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

There are quality titles on Xbox as well:

Dead or Alive
Halo
Splinter Cell
Colin McRae Rally 3
Jet Set Radio Future

... it's a toughy.
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Like some of you guys, saving up for other equipment at the mo. Added a DVD to my setup now. My hifi has more plugs coming out of it than anything I've ever seen before (USB, Opt, Aux)... :P I must take a holiday at some point this summer too... destination recommendations very welcome, preferably outside of the UK. ;)

Tempted to get my own GC, but not sure if it'll get used very much. Started playing more PC/Mac games - currently on Myst 3 Exile, really enjoying it. Tough but clever.... PS2 has never interested me. Xbox possibly, just to see Conker and the other Rare games.