419eater.com and the BBC

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
Mobious
Supreme Member

419eater.com and the BBC

Post by Mobious »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3887493.stm

Mikes site is on the bbcs website! Go on!!! :)
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Jesus..

I have just had a full on arguement with a guy here who thinks what Mike is doing is WRONG!.. I tried to explain to him but he's of the understanding that something else should be done.

Just out of interest.. Mike what do you do with the money made (if ever) from the Scammers?

I can't understand how someone as sensible as this bloke feels that it's wrong to have a site setup like 419eaters.

I have never felt so angry and pissed at someones stupid ideas about justice (what justice!!)..

Grrr..
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

from the BBC Website:

He and his volunteers give any money they get from these reverse stings to a children's charity in the north of England

total thumbsup for that website from me :D

Yam Boy
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

I was about to say congrats here Mike - couldn't e-mail as I see the forum's suddenly grown dramatically - over 300 visitors visited the thing at one time! Christ! :)

You don't really see the serious side of this thing until you start reading about some of the victims. Really is bad. Half the time it's fruitless trying to explain.

Well done Mike. :)
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

Chain wrote:Jesus..

I have just had a full on arguement with a guy here who thinks what Mike is doing is WRONG!.. I tried to explain to him but he's of the understanding that something else should be done.

Just out of interest.. Mike what do you do with the money made (if ever) from the Scammers?

I can't understand how someone as sensible as this bloke feels that it's wrong to have a site setup like 419eaters.

I have never felt so angry and pissed at someones stupid ideas about justice (what justice!!)..

Grrr..
if your colleague read some of the successful scams where they have robbed people of money then he might feel different.... they are the lowest of low scum of the earth....

reading some of the stories where people are robbed of large sums of money... or even small sums when they have none is sickening.....

whilst they are being exploited/mocked they deserve to be; leading people under false pretence's and impersonating government officials etc... as Kernal said their own greed is what ultimately makes them stuiped enough to pose for such idiotic picture's (milk cheese and fish especially idiotic) to simply rob some person out of money they can't be assed to earn legitimately...

Yam Boy
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

This was the story that shocked me (and others) into realising just how serious the situation can be...

http://ozbaiter.nightmail.ru/monica.htm

If you think it's worth it Shane, get him to read this. There are some great posters over on the other forum who put the point across well. It's well worth delving deeper over there. :)
kernal
< ADMIN >

Post by kernal »

Here's a short audio from part of my interview:

http://freespace.virgin.net/the.darksid ... r_bbc4.mp3

Regarding the cash, all of it was given to a local charity. Reason is I'm pretty sure whatever cash I get has probably been stolen from some poor sucker and (call me soft), I would feel a tad guilty about keeping it myself.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Well done Mike.. :)

I hope you get to go on TV shows.. And get some dosh from the papers for a story ;)

How about writing a book about some of the funnier ones?

blimey your sitting on a goldmine, of fun if nothing else. :)
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

I can see both sides of the argument - for and against scamming the scammers.

I personally would not scam a scammer.

My personal philosophy is not to fight fire with fire, but to find other means to solve the problem.

Reaching out to those who are victims is an excellent thing to do and also educating people throughout the world to simply dump any of these types of mail into the bin.

It is a far more complicated issue than meets the eye and I think far reaching changes need to take place in Nigeria to finally hammer the criminal network that has arisen in that poverty stricken mess of a country.
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Christ, I hope you still talk to us lot after all the stardom! :)
kernal
< ADMIN >

Post by kernal »

My autograph value has gone up from 1/2p to a whole penny :)