Sorry if this sounds stupid...

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
dan
Supreme Member

Sorry if this sounds stupid...

Post by dan »

I've just been getting everything ready for my interview on tues, and I'm a little bothered by all the conflicting views I'm getting over how to dress for the occasion. :roll:

I was going to go in a suit, but some people are telling me that would be too much and I'd look "out of place" as such in a design company. I obviously want to make a good impression though.

Whenever I've gone for interviews before in other job sectors I've always gone dressed in a suit, or at least a shirt and tie, but now I'm being told that it's best to go in "normal" clothes. I'm comfortable in both.

Any opinions? :shock:
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Well, you could scout the place out first and see how everybody looks (if that is possible) and then judge for yourself whether the casual approach would be a good idea. But be careful.

As long as your suit is not naff :wink: , go for the suit if in doubt, as the person who is conducting the interview may view casual as a lack of respect. Better to be safe than sorry!
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

I'd go Suit everytime..

It's easier to take off a jacket in an Interview than put one on ;)

I tend to go for a plain colourful shirt with a Tie thats interesting yet not garish.. Then just suited and booted.. If it's casual enviroument you can lose the jacket in the interview and *bang* your casual, but neat..

Then again I work in a different area of the market and most of my Interviews have been very much a matter of formality, just the shaking of hands on a contract..

As Simon says scott the place out.. And if you know anyone there ask what they interviewed in? You could ask? Shocking but honestly pays ;)
Mobious
Supreme Member

Post by Mobious »

Well here is my guidelines. Always go for a suit if you are entering a new sector, you might feel out of place but it is always best to be safe than sorry. Suits should always be worn when going for any standard job as this is the norm, however if you are going for a games job, unless you have been in the industry for 5 years, then shirt and smart trousers are acceptable. Going for 2 interviews myself, one for a games jon on thursday which will be a shirt and smart trousers affair and then monday I will be wearing my suit.
Yam Boy
Supreme Member

Post by Yam Boy »

good luck with the jobs both of you

Mobious your missus told me today about the one in Leamington Spa!

sounds well decent :D

i'm thinking about looking for a new job myself...

i just hate looking for a job and trying to sell myself in interviews :?

as for the main question... go for the suit... as Chain said you can always lose the jacket the moment you take a seat.... [EDIT] just read the other thread lol

Yam Boy
dan
Supreme Member

Post by dan »

Yeah, best of luck your end Moby!

Leamington Spa - god that brings back memories!! :)