Games On Rails

This forum is for general tittle-tattle.
Mobious
Supreme Member

Games On Rails

Post by Mobious »

OK I have a quick question for all you hard core gamers. If you heard part of a game was to be 'on rails' would it put you off buying the game? If it does put you off, could you please give a reason why? I am now a fledgling games designer and we are looking at the pro and cons of having a 3rd person shooting section of the game on rails, as you have to be able to use the steering to control the game. (Don't ask!), and we don't want the game to be another GTA clone so there will be no free roaming. Cheers :P
Stelf
Supreme Member

Post by Stelf »

Personally I don't look that deep into games, generally word of mouth/brand reputation is main reason I buy certain games.

But if you mean 'on rails' like in Mohaa there is a level early on where your on the back of the jeep controlling a mounted minigun then yes I didn't like that so much. And basicly stopped playing the single player at that point.

Or if you mean like Mafia/The Getaway where your drive to the next level w/o too much choice of direction, althougth you could free roam to a certain degree.

Maybe i'm missing what you mean by 'on rails'.
Mobious
Supreme Member

Post by Mobious »

When I refer to on rails, I mean more in the style of time crisis/ twin calibre, but obviously not as crap as the latter :lol:
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

I don't see why not, there were nice interludes in Wolfenstein (or was it Medal of Honour... hmmm) if I remember correctly. Little shooty bits between levels. Very well done and they served to break the flow of the action nicely. It's all down to how they are woven into the whole theme and game world.

If they are simply a lazy way to fluff out the game, then no, don't do it. But on the other hand, if they present a unique challenge and season an otherwise tedious sub-section, then yes, they are as valid as any other idea to implement.

It may be an idea to make them optionable, but if you perform the routine there are bonuses to be gained. Game secrets, weapons, information or whatever. This will help break away from the feeling that you "have to" go through these sections of the game to progress.
Chain
< ADMIN >

Post by Chain »

Here we go one word answer

Panzer Dragoon Orta.

How many sold of that? :)
beardfreak
Supreme Member

Post by beardfreak »

Panzer Dragoon Orta never gripped me to be honest, but I keep meaning to go back to it. If that game had been a sub-game in a RPG, then it would have been pretty cool.